The United States, Canada and Mexcio have announced that they will make a joint bid to host the 2026 World Cup recently. It will be the first competition since the number of participating teams increased from 32 to 48, if these three countries win the bid, it was also the first World Cup to be jointly hosted by three countries. Under the proposal the USA would host 60 matches,with 10 games each in Canada and Mexico. The decision on who will host the event will be made in 2020. That decision is three years later than previously scheduled because of corruption allegations surrounding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qutar. The USA host the 1994 World Cup, which had the most average attendance in the tournament’s history, while Mexico was the first country to host the World Cup twice, in 1970 and 1986. And Canada hosted the women’s World Cup. Donald Trump has determined to build a border wall between the United States and Mexico who is the president of USA, but Sunil Gulati, president of the United States Soccer Federation, said that Trump is “supportive” of the bid and had “encouraged” it. “The United States, Mexico and Canada have individually demonstrated their exceptional abilities to host world-class events,” added Gulati. “When our nations come together as one-as we will for 2026-there is no question the United States, Mexico and Canada will deliver an experience that will celebrate the game and serve players, supporters and partners alike.”
The start of bidding process for the right to host the 2016 World Cup will be postponed because of the ongoing investigations surrounding football’s world governing body. The decision on who will host the tournament had been made in Kuala Lumpur in 2017. The Russia’s Sports Minister said that there is no doubt that Russia will host the World Cup in 2018. The FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke was support to the official and said that there is no evidence to indicate that Russia’s bid process did not compliance with the regulation. Sepp Blatter was announced his resignation last week and FIFA will hold a special Executive Committee meeting to talk about the dates for the election to replace him in July. The football’s scandal-plagued world body was failed to confirm UK media reports that the election is scheduled to take place on December 16th in a statement.
FIFA admitted that bribery exist in the process of bidding the 1998 and 2010 World Cups and trying to recoup tens of millions of dollars in damages. It is the first time for FIFA to admit that South Africa’s ten billions payment to Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer was a bribe for World Cup votes in 2010 in a legal document. And Warner also accepted a bribe for his 1988 World Cup vote. “The convicted defendants abused the positions of trust they held at FIFA and other international football organizations and caused serious and lasting damage to FIFA,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said Wednesday in a statement. “The monies they pocketed belonged to global football and were meant for the development and promotion of the game. FIFA as the world governing body of football wants that money back. And we are determined to get it no matter how long it takes.”